Migrating to Tiny Tiny RSS

Tiny Tiny RSS logo

[Update–June 16, 2013: Passing the p5productions.com feeds through Feedburner or Yahoo! Pipes didn’t work as neither could grab the feeds either, but passing them through Feedrinse worked just fine! I’ll be completing the migration in the very near future.]

As most of you know, Google Reader, the tool primarily responsible for generating this collected feed, is going away. As such, I’ve been working diligently on finding an alternative solution. I’ve finally settled on Tiny Tiny RSS (TT-RSS), which does everything I need and then some. I can generate a feed from any folder or any label, or even have a dedicated “public feed” for whatever I’d like. I can apply labels to any individual feed item as well.

It’s not without its quirks though. There are certain feeds that don’t seem to be working properly, or are outright inaccessible from Tiny Tiny RSS. The two important feeds are Smiling Jack’s Bar and Grill (at its new URL) and Roleplay DNA, both of which are hosted on p5productions.com. I’m contacting +Justin Suzuki and some folks in the TT-RSS Google+ Community to see if the issue is on TT-RSS’ end or on the podcasts’ server’s end and find a solution in either case.

By the way, Tiny Tiny RSS has an excellent Android app, too.

Savage Worlds Google+ Community

Last week, Google+ rolled out its new Communities feature which allowed users to create or join communities based around topics of interest. Of course, the Savage Bloggers Network jumped at this opportunity to facilitate engagement among Savage Worlds fans who use Google+ by creating a Savage Worlds Google+ Community.

This Google+ Community is publicly available to anyone. We have 239 members, and that number is still growing! Feel free to join in the discussion, and share your blog posts, podcast episodes, photos, play session reports, reviews, or whatever you happen to come across on the Internet that might be interesting or fun.

A Tweak to the SBN Feed

I recently made a tweak to the SBN feed to limit the content being published to it. While I implemented this on the site via Feedburner's BuzzBoost feature, the actual feed was publishing full content. That was an oversight and never my intention, so I've made changes accordingly using Feedburner's Summary Burner which now only publishes the first 100 characters of each item. While some might find this annoying, I want to encourage traffic to the respective sites, not steal it.